7 Security Tips to Protect What Matters
1. KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR YOUR NEIGHBOURS
- Let your neighbours know if there is unusual activity. This is especially important during vacations or travelling for work.
- Are there any strangers lurking around the block?
- Any moving vans or contractors parked on your neighbours driveway?
- Join your local Neighbourhood Group on Facebook and share information about your community.
2. USE COMMON SENSE
- If you lose a key, then get the locks changed. A better alternative is to eliminate keys altogether by installing an Alarm.com smart lock with built in keypad.
- Ask all strangers for identification. The person who is “lost” and looking for directions could actually be a burglar checking to see if someone is home.
- Never hide an extra key outdoor - especially underneath a mat or on top of a light fixture. This is the first place the bad guys look. Leave an extra house key with a friend or a neighbor. Again, a better alternative is to eliminate keys altogether by installing an Alarm.com smart lock with built in keypad.
- DO NOT advertise on Facebook or Instagram that you are on vacation. Social media is the equivalent of a diary in a glass house. You may think you’re letting your friends and family know you’re having a great time, but people often forget to change their privacy settings. If you like to post photos - post them after you get back.
- For insurance purposes take photos of the contents of your home and keep all receipts in an off-site location. Great options are Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive and Dropbox.
- Write down the model and serial number of all electronics. This will come in handy for a future Police report and insurance claim.
3. MAKE IT DIFFICULT
- Door chains are easy to bypass. Install deadbolts. We have Alarm.com smart lock options with built in deadbolts.
- Install window bars on all basement windows. They are a great visual deterrent and can be connected to a monitored home security system.
- Install a stopper or stick on all sliding doors and windows. You can find these at your local hardware store such as Home Hardware, Canadian Tire or Rona.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked. Many burglars go door to door looking for targets that forgot to lock their front doors.
- For cabins, consider installing roller window and door shutters. Visit kimbel.ca to see samples.
4. MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU ARE AT HOME
- Burglars target unoccupied homes so keep your home well lit at night. Install timers that turn lights, radios and televisions on at different times. This gives the appearance that someone is home. A better option is to install Alarm.com smart lights and smart appliance modules and setup on an alternating schedules.
- Cancel the newspaper and have a friend or neighbour pick-up your mail.
- Park a vehicle in the drive-way. Don’t forget to lock the doors and remove any valuables.
- If you’re taking an extended vacation of more than a week, hire a student or service to cut your grass.
5. INSTALL A MONITORED HOME OR CABIN SECURITY SYSTEM
- The insurance companies agree. You are 400% less likely to have a break-in and can qualify for an insurance discount of up to 25%.
- NEW! $0 Equipment, $0 Installation Plans
- No Phone Line required
- 24/7 Monitored Protection from intrusion, fire, flood, low temperature, and carbon monoxide
- Includes Police / RCMP and Fire Department dispatch and Call List notification
- Optional ALARM.COM - control your smart lights, smart locks, and smart thermostat with *free apps
- Optional ReedHD™ Wi-Fi Doorbell - Know Who's at the front door, record audio and video onto the cloud
- A monthly subscription is required for all service plans
6. IN CASE YOU DO HAVE A BREAK-IN
- If it looks like a door or window was forced open, DO NOT go inside. The Burglar may still be on site.
- Call the Police from your mobile phone and wait.
7. ALWAYS GET 3 QUOTES
- Do NOT Sign Up with Door to Door alarm companies with Limited Time Offers. Before you know it you will be on the hook for thousands of dollars with a company that doesn't have a local office.
- Many door to door alarm companies have summer programs (May to September only). After that good luck.
- Be sure to search Google for reviews and ask friends and family who they use for home security.
If you would like more information on Smart Home or Business Security please Contact Us for a Free Security Evaluation.
SASKATOON SECURITY INQUIRIES
Reed Security Headquarters
Call 306.653.3200 or 1.844.384.SAFE (7233)
PRINCE ALBERT SECURITY INQUIRIES
REGINA SECURITY INQUIRIES
CALGARY SECURITY INQUIRIES
EDMONTON SECURITY INQUIRIES
SP&T News, Canada's #1 magazine for security dealers and integrators recently interviewed Virgil Reed.
Before founding Reed Security, a Saskatoon-based business that offers custom-designed alarm systems and high-definition video surveillance, Virgil Reed got his first taste of the security industry working as commercial sales representative for ADT Security back in 1998.
Though he appreciated the vital lessons that he learned from the company, Reed decided to follow his dream of starting his own company.
Founded in 2000, Reed Security started out as an authorized dealer for another company for five years before making another change.
“After five years of being a dealer, we became an independent — and it was the greatest choice I ever made,” Reed said in an interview with SP&T News.
Read the full article: https://www.sptnews.ca/reed-security-celebrates-20-years/
Today Reed Security is officially celebrating our 20th Anniversary!
When we started on March 10th, 2000 the security industry was booming and the competition was fierce. The big companies had successful door to door programs and the telephone company (SaskTel) started in the security business. 20 years later the door to door programs are still persistent and even more telephone companies (Bell, Telus/ADT) offer home and business smart security. The competition has never been greater!
"I'm proud of the business we've (not I) built. 20 years ago nobody knew who we were and we had 0 (zero) customers. Today, 5000+ homes and businesses trust Reed Security for their protection. We are a strong LOCAL brand you can Trust. What makes us different? Easy, it's our People, Culture and sense of Community!
Thank you to our Clients for supporting us for 20 years. Without you we wouldn't exist.
Thank you to all our People - staff and dealers for Caring for each other and our Clients. You make it easy.
Looking forward to another 20!"
#wecare #community #thankful
Is it a throwback if you still have an old, outdated alarm system keypad?
Older keypads are used to arm, disarm and program your security system. Sometimes they are used as a door chime.
Today, a Reed Security system is a beautiful touchscreen and functions as a smarthome/smartbusiness security and automation system.
✅ 7" HD touchscreen
✅ Live Answer/View - displays Alarm.com HD cameras
✅ 4G LTE cellular radio - no phone line required
✅ Z-Wave+ radio - connect to smart locks, smart lights, smart thermostat
✅ 5MP HD camera - record people disarming and can send you photos
✅ Door, Motion, Fire, Flood and Temperature protection
...and lots more.
Comes with Alarm.com desktop and smartphone apps when you have a Reed Security Interactive Plan subscription.
✅ Connect to your home or business from Anywhere
✅ Get instant alerts of the system being armed/disarmed by kids or employees
✅ One single app can control your security system, ReedHD™ security cameras, smart locks, smart thermostat, smart lights and more...
We've added some new *$0 Down Plans with $0 INSTALLATION.It's never been easier to Upgrade, Switch Over from a competitor or install a New Smart Package at your Home or Business.Plans range from $39.95/mo. to $79.95/mo. and a term is required. Contact Us today for more information or to Book your professional installation.