PUBLISHED BY SASKATOON POLICE
Remember those lip sync challenges going around amongst Police Services over the last month or so? We do, and at the time we heard from many in our community that we should be getting involved – so we did!
And in line with the philosophy that all great things take time, we’re excited to present our lip sync video of Backstreet Boys' I want it that Way, including a scene re-enactment from Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
We weren’t officially challenged from a Police Service so we won’t be throwing down any challenges ourselves, but if anyone thinks they can one up our efforts, feel free!
Special thanks to everyone who helped make this possible, especially the sworn and civilian members that volunteered their holidays, days off and lunch hours to make this possible.
The SPS does not own any rights to the script, lyrics or music by Brooklyn Nine-Nine scene or the Backstreet Boys.
Shot and Edited by Sik Pics Productions.
The Saskatoon Police Service has a Crime Mapping Tool that you can use to learn about all the criminal offences and traffic collisions that have occurred in our community.
In 2017 Saskatoon had 2543 property crimes (break-ins) which is a 10 percent increase over the 2292 property crimes we experienced in 2016.
What's causing the increase in property crime?
One of the reasons is that our city is growing. As of July 2017 Saskatoon's population was estimated at 271,000. As our city grows so do the social problems that go along with it.
Another reason is we now have a synthetic drug problem - specifically with fentanyl and crystal meth. People are addicted and need money to fuel the addiction. There's also a big increase in theft of vehicles, theft from vehicles and armed robberies.
Check out this 2016 interview between former Saskatoon Police Chief, Clive Weighill, and Global News. (the video quality is poor ,but the explanation is good).
What can you do to combat break-in's, vehicle theft, theft from vehicles and robberies?
1. USE COMMON SENSE
- DO NOT advertise on Facebook or Instagram that you are on vacation. Social media is the equivalent of a diary in a glass house.
- You may think you’re letting your friends and family know you’re having a great time, but people often forget to change their privacy settings. Thieves will also know you are travelling.
- If you like to post photos - post them after you get back.
- If you lose a key, then get the locks changed. A better alternative is to eliminate keys altogether by installing an alarm.com smart lock with built in keypad.
- Ask all strangers for identification. The person who is “lost” and looking for directions could actually be a burglar checking to see if someone is home.
- Never hide an extra key outdoor - especially underneath a mat or on top of a light fixture. This is the first place the bad guys look. Leave an extra house key with a friend or a neighbor. Again, a better alternative is to eliminate keys altogether by installing an alarm.com smart lock with built in keypad.
- For insurance purposes take photos of the contents of your home and keep all receipts in an off-site location. Great options are Google Drive, Microsoft Cloud and Dropbox.
- Write down the model and serial number of all electronics. This will come in handy for a future Police report and insurance claim.
- Do not leave valuables such as your wallet, loose change, electronics and expensive clothing in a vehicle.
2. MAKE IT DIFFICULT
- Door chains are easy to bypass. Install deadbolts. We have alarm.com smart lock options with built in deadbolts.
- Install window bars on all basement windows. They are a great visual deterrent and can be connected to a monitored home security system.
- Install a stopper or stick on all sliding doors and windows. You can find these at your local hardware store such as Home Hardware, Canadian Tire or Rona.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked. Many burglars go door to door looking for targets that forgot to lock their front doors.
- For cabins, consider installing roller window and door shutters. Visit kimbel.ca to see samples.
- Do not leave unattended vehicles running
- Do not leave keys in a vehcile
- Make sure you lock the doors on your vehicle
3. MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU ARE AT HOME
- Burglars target unoccupied homes so keep your home well lit at night. Install timers that turn lights, radios and televisions on at different times. This gives the appearance that someone is home. A better option is to install alarm.com smart lights and smart appliance modules and setup on an alternating schedules.
- If you’re taking an extended vacation of more than a week, hire a student or service to shovel your driveway.
- Cancel the newspaper and have a friend or neighbour pick-up your mail.
- Park a vehicle in the drive-way. Don’t forget to lock the doors and remove any valuables.
4. INSTALL A MONITORED HOME OR CABIN SECURITY SYSTEM
The insurance companies agree. You are 400% less likely to have a break-in and can qualify for an insurance discount of up to 25%.
- NEW! $0 Equipment, $0 Installation Plans
- No Phone Line required
- 24/7 Monitored Protection from intrusion, fire, flood, low temperature, and carbon monoxide
- Includes Police / RCMP and Fire Department dispatch and Call List notification
- Optional ALARM.COM - control your smart lights, smart locks, and smart thermostat with *free apps
- Optional ReedHD™ Wi-Fi Doorbell - Know Who's at the front door, record audio and video onto the cloud
- A monthly subscription is required for all service plans
5. IN CASE YOU DO HAVE A BREAK-IN
- If it looks like a door or window was forced open, DO NOT go inside. The Burglar may still be on site.
- Call the Police from your mobile phone and wait.
6. ALWAYS GET 3 QUOTES
- Do NOT Sign Up with Door to Door alarm companies with Limited Time Offers. Before you know it you will be on the hook for thousands of dollars with a company that doesn't have a local office.
- Many door to door alarm companies have summer programs (May to September only). After that good luck.
- Be sure to search Google for reviews and ask friends and family who they use for home security.
If you would like more information on Smart Home or Business Security & Automation please Contact Us for a Free Security Evaluation.
SASKATOON SECURITY INQUIRIES
Reed Security Headquarters
Call 306.653.3200 or 1.844.384.SAFE (7233)
PRINCE ALBERT SECURITY INQUIRIES
CALGARY SECURITY INQUIRIES
REGINA SECURITY INQUIRIES
There have been 11 armed robberies in Saskatoon over the past two weeks and it's a huge concern to the Police and Business Owners.
We have a number of armed robbery and break-in prevention solutions we can recommend (some we won't advertise):
Contact us today if you would like our help and more information:
Prince Albert 306.922.7200
Two years ago, Oyvind Sparboe and Myron Jacobsen brought Reed Security to Prince Albert.
“We were long term employees at another security company and we saw first hand there was a lot of room for improvement.,” said Sparboe. “We looked at several partnership options and after careful screening, Reed Security and their $5 a month promo was clearly the best choice.”
You can feel at ease knowing your home, cabin or business is secure when you choose Reed Security as your security provider. Solutions include Alarm Systems with 24-7 Monitoring, ReedHD™ Hi-Def Cameras you can view from your smartphone and Access Control swipe-card systems which control who goes where and when.
The one thing separating Reed Security from the rest is the commitment to providing Excellent Customer Service. Reed Security cares about building long-term relationships with their clients, going above and beyond before and after the sale. Some companies may take weeks to provide service, while Reed Security’s goal is by the next business day.
Jacobsen and Sparboe know one of the biggest benefits to having a monitored home security system, is it provides constant monitoring when you are unable to do so yourself. If you need to leave town for business or a vacation, they recommend putting your trust in Reed Security. Reed Security offers full monitoring and is a ULC listed company, which indicates a high standard of monitoring and installation. You can feel assured there will be a response to an emergency situation. Additionally, when you are away from your home or business you can use remote monitoring services. For example, ALARM.COM interactive services use 3G cell towers to connect your security system directly to your smartphone, tablet, or PC. No phone line is required.
“Today, your security system can provide you with a variety of notifications,” said Jacobsen. “There are a lot of latch-key kids out there so now when the kids come home from school at four o’clock, or whenever, you can get a notification on your phone that lets you know the kids are home.”
Jacobsen and Sparboe want to inform potential customers that an alarm system can also provide additional protection to a variety of other factors including fire and carbon dioxide detection while preventing intruders and protecting valuables.
“A security system is not just used for security anymore,” said Jacobsen. “A lot of people think, ‘Oh, I will never get broken into.’ Well, you could still have a flood in your home, you could have a fire in your home or your furnace could quit.
“Today you can add to your security system a variety of sensors such as environmental sensors, low temp sensors, water sensors, smoke sensors and carbon dioxide sensors.”
An Anniversary Gift to You!
In celebration of Reed Security’s 15th Anniversary in Saskatoon and Second Anniversary in Prince Albert we would like to offer all new clients the following alarm promo:
- $99 activation (reg. $299) for all Switch Overs
- $299 activation (reg. $599) for all New Installations
- $5 a Month 24/7 Monitoring for the first year (after that it’s only $19.95)
- Free low temperature sensor
- Free ALARM.COM Interactive Services – for the first month
- Professional Installation with Full System Test
- Up to 25% Off Home Insurance – consult your broker
- Expires November 30th, 2015
Problems with THEFT? We can help.
FREE ESTIMATES in Prince Albert & Lake Country
FREE ESTIMATES in Saskatoon & Area
or Click Here
DEALER INQUIRIES firstname.lastname@example.org