Home Renovation Tax Credit
Home Security Systems, Devices and Professional Installation qualify. Monthly fees do not.
Under this non-refundable tax credit, Saskatchewan homeowners may save up to $2,100 in provincial income tax by claiming a 10.5 per cent tax credit on up to $20,000 of eligible home renovation expenses. Eligible expenses include the cost of labour and professional services, building materials, fixtures, equipment rentals, and permits.
This tax credit will be administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as part of the Saskatchewan personal income tax system. CRA will develop the necessary forms and filing instructions in the coming months.
1. To Qualify
- Renovations must be to your principal residence, which must be located in Saskatchewan.
- Renovation expenses must be incurred between October 1, 2020, and December 31, 2022.
- The renovation must be substantially completed by December 31, 2022.
- At the time of the renovation(s), you must own, alone or jointly with another person, the housing unit (or share of the capital stock of a co-operative housing corporation that you acquired solely for the right to inhabit the housing unit owned by that corporation).
- You, your current or former spouse or common-law partner, or any of your or your spouse/common-law partner's children must ordinarily inhabit the housing unit during the eligibility period.
- In general, renovations must be of an enduring nature and integral to the dwelling or to the land that forms part of the dwelling. Land of one-half hectare or 1.24 acres, including the land upon which your housing unit stands and any portion of the adjoining land, will generally be considered part of your eligible dwelling for purposes of this tax credit.
2. Claim Credit on Tax Returns
Claim the credit on your 2021 and/or 2022 personal income tax returns:
- Total qualified expenses incurred between October 1, 2020, and December 31, 2021, in excess of $1,000 (base amount), but not more than $12,000 can be claimed on your 2021 tax return (maximum claim of $11,000 for 2021).
- Total qualified expenses incurred between January 1, 2022, and December 31, 2022, in excess of $1,000 (base amount), but not more than $10,000, can be claimed on your 2022 tax return (maximum claim of $9,000 for 2022).
- The tax credit can be split among eligible family members, but the total amount claimed cannot exceed the maximum allowable. Eligible family members include you and your spouse or common-law partner and you or your spouse/common-law partner's children who are under 18 years of age at the end of 2021.
- If you sell and purchase an eligible dwelling during the eligibility period, qualified expenses that you incur for both dwellings will be eligible (however, each dwelling must have been your permanent residence at the time the renovations occurred). The maximum total of qualified expenditures that you can claim is $20,000.
- If you earn rental or business income from part of your eligible dwelling, you can only claim the amount for expenses incurred for the personal-use areas of your dwelling. For expenses incurred for common areas or that benefit the housing unit as a whole (e.g., re-shingling a roof), divide the expense between personal use and income-earning use and claim the personal-use portion.
- Example of splitting the tax credit between family members: You and your spouse enter a contract for the purchase and installation of a new furnace after October 1, 2020, and pay $9,500 for this renovation. On your 2021 tax return, calculate the tax credit as follows: Total qualified expense of $9,500, less the $1,000 base amount = $8,500. Either you or your spouse can claim the entire $8,500 or you can each claim a portion of it. For example, if you claim $3,500, your spouse can claim the remaining $5,000.
Eligible expenses must be supported by documents such as receipts or invoices and should clearly identify:
- the vendor/contractor including business address and (if applicable) their GST/HST registration number
- the type and quantity of goods purchased and/or services provided
- the dates when the goods and/or services were purchased or delivered
- Invoices must by marked "paid" or be accompanied by other proof of payment such as credit card slips or cancelled cheques.
4. Eligible Expenses
Examples of eligible expenses:
- painting the interior or exterior of a house
- re-shingling a roof
- kitchen, bathroom, and/or basement renovations
- flooring (carpet, linoleum, hardwood, laminate, etc.)
- windows and/or doors
- furnace, boiler, woodstove, fireplace, water softener, water heater, and/or oil tank
- central air conditioner
- permanent home ventilation
- permanent reverse osmosis system
- septic system and/or wells
- electrical wiring upgrades (e.g., changing from 100 to 200 amps)
- home security system (monthly fees do not qualify)
- solar panels and panel trackers
- building a garage, deck, fence, garden/storage shed, and/or an addition to your home
- building a new driveway and/or retaining wall (or resurfacing a driveway)
- exterior shutters and awnings
- pool liners and/or solar heaters and heat pumps for pools (does not include solar blankets)
- landscaping (e.g., sod, perennial shrubs and flowers, trees, large rocks, permanent garden lighting, permanent water fountain, permanent ponds, large permanent garden ornaments)
- fixtures (e.g., blinds, shades, shutters, lights, ceiling fans)
- electronic devices that are installed as a fixture and are necessary and primarily used to operate another eligible expenditure (e.g., a device that is a fixture and is necessary and primarily used to operate solar panels, air conditioning systems, home security devices, or ventilation systems)
- associated costs to the above such as installation, permits, professional services, equipment rentals, and incidental expenses (e.g., work performed by electricians, plumbers, carpenters, architects, etc. will generally constitute an eligible expense)
- for condo owners and co-operative housing corporation members, your share of the cost of eligible renovations to common areas will qualify for the tax credit if certain conditions are met (see Information Bulletin for more details)
5. Ineligible Expenses
Examples of expenses which are not eligible:
- renovations to a cottage or cabin unless it is your principal residence
- the value of your own labour for do-it-yourself projects
- payments to a close relative or other person not at arm's length, unless that person is registered for GST purposes
- routine repairs and maintenance typically performed on an annual or more frequent basis
- maintenance contracts (e.g., furnace and/or pool cleaning, snow removal, lawn care, etc.)
- appliances, furniture, draperies, hot tubs, and mechanical items not considered an enduring addition to your home (e.g. fridges, stoves, couches, etc.)
- TVs, computers, tablets, smart devices, speakers, streaming devices, cellphones, gaming systems, and other audiovisual electronics
- items that have a value independent of the renovation, such as construction equipment and/or tools
- any financing costs (e.g., interest payments) associated with the renovation(s)
Contact us today for a No Obligation, 20 minute Smart Home/Business Evaluation or call 1.844.384.7233
Reed Security Headquarters
306.653.3200 or 1.844.384.SAFE (7233)
PRINCE ALBERT SECURITY
To: Our Clients, Dealers, Suppliers, Friends and Family,
It's been a challenging COVID-19 year for all of us, but the Reed Security Family Choir pushed through to deliver an experience you will never forget.
Have a Safe & Happy Holidays!
From: Reed Security
The problem with most security cameras is that the quality at night is poor!
Take a look for yourself:
EXIR NIGHTVISON: THE INFRARED ILLUMINATOR ALLOWS THE CAMERA TO SEE IN THE DARK, BUT THE IMAGE QUALITY IS POOR. THE IMAGE IS CLEAR HD QUALITY DURING THE DAY.
REEDHD™ ColorVu uses an ultra low light sensor and a built in spotlight to see in full color at night.
Take a look at the same scene with REEDHD™ ColorVu:
REEDHD™ COLORVU NIGHTVISION: THE BUILT-IN SPOTLIGHT ALLOWS THE CAMERA TO SEE IN FULL COLOR AT NIGHT AND THE IMAGE QUALITY IS IMPROVED. THE IMAGE IS CLEAR HD QUALITY DURING THE DAY.
And, here's same REEDHD™ ColorVu security camera during the day:
$0 HOLIDAY SALE ON COLORVU CAMERAS!
It's never been more affordable to keep an eye on your Home or Small Business.
Check on your property from anywhere with live + recorded HD video in color 24/7.
We're taking care of most of the up front costs + the First Month is FREE*.
Residential / Small Business Package includes:
✅ 4x 5MP REEDHD™ Security Cameras with ColorVu Nightvision, 65 feet range
✅ 1x DVR with 14-30 days recording of all events
✅ 1x Smartphone and Desktop apps
✅ 1x Protected by REEDHD™ warning signage package
✅ 1x Professional installation
✅ 1x Silver Plan Parts & Labour Warranty
Expires December 31st, 2020.
For more information or to book an installation please Contact Us today.
Call 306.653.3200 or 1.844.384.7233
THE FINE PRINT:
*3 or 5 year subscription required.
*$299 professional installation fee.
*High speed internet and 120 VAC power supplied by you.
*O.A.C. On Approved Credit.
*Available at participating dealers.
*Termination charges may apply for subscribers on existing plans.